The Carlisle Christian Aid Group is an active and enthusiastic group of representatives of around 30 churches in Carlisle and the surrounding area.
The Group is looking for an organiser to co-ordinate their work and be the key point of contact for Christian Aid in the Carlisle area. The specific role will depend on how much time you are able to give and what is agreed with the other members of the group.
Core tasks will be:
1. To support, and co-ordinate where necessary, Christian Aid Week fundraising activity in the Carlisle area. (Most of the fundraising is done by individual churches, and currently the co-ordinator's work involves checking out requirements for Christian Aid Week materials and ordering and distributing the material, arranging a city-centre street collection, arranging delivery of Christian Aid envelopes in one part of the city, and some local publicity.)
2. To organise other Carlisle-wide events during the year, as agreed by the Group. These could involve fundraising, worship, education, publicity and campaigning.
3. To keep all those involved with the Group in touch with the work of the Group and with other Christian Aid fundraising, worship, educational and campaigning activities in the area.
How much time is involved?
This depends on you, and the time you have available is one of the key factors the group will take into account in deciding on what activities to undertake. Currently, some other members of the Group take on specific events to organise, which shares some of the work out, and in such cases, the Organiser's role will be one of overview.
What skills are needed?
1. Good organisational ability.
2. The ability to work with and motivate others.
3. Patience and a sense of humour.
4. Ability to work in partnership with local churches and Christian Aid staff.
5. A commitment to the work of Christian Aid and an understanding that in taking on this task you are involved with God's work.
6. Access to the internet and email are desirable.
What support is available?
1. A named contact at the Christian Aid North West office (currently Laura Jones, who looks after Christian Aid in Cumbria).
2. Training and opportunity to learn more about Christian Aid's work.
3. Information and resources provided by Christian Aid.
4. An active local Christian Aid Group including other office bearers.
1. To keep an up to date list of contact details of Christian Aid church representatives and others active in the Carlisle Christian Aid Group.
2. To arrange meetings of the Carlisle Christian Aid Group, and prepare and distribute notes of the meetings.
3. In conjunction with Organiser, to keep Christian Aid church contacts and other active members of the Group, in touch with the activities of the Group.
How much time would I need to give?
Currently the Group meets on 4 occasions each year and the list of contacts is updated as and when a change takes place, plus an annual phone-round. Currently, a short newsletter is prepared 3 times per year, and distributed round the Group (most copies go by email). The majority of the preparation could be done by the organiser.
What skills and qualities do I need?
1. Good administrative ability.
2. A commitment to the work of Christian Aid and an understanding that in taking on this task you are involved with God's work.
3. Basic IT skills including word processing, plus access to the internet and emailing.
How do I get involved with either position?
Contact one of the following for an informal discussion:
1. Revd Nick Mark, Chairman, Carlisle Christian Aid Group on 01228 562162 or email
2. Doug Scott, current co-ordinator of the Carlisle Christian Aid Group on 016974 73556 or 07971 744976 or email
3. Laura Jones, Christian Aid Regional Co-ordinator for Cumbria on 01925 573769 or email